Robert Harley's Bestselling Guides to High-End Audio
Introductory Guide to High-Performance Audio Systems
This book was inspired by my passion to tell everyone who loves music that the listening experience can be more engaging, involving, and pleasurable through a high-performance audio system. It's a well-kept secret to the general public that there's a whole category of audio equipment that can reproduce music with a depth, intensity, and listener involvement that mass-market audio products don't begin to match.
It remains a secret because the high-end audio industry, to its detriment, has focused on the hard-core audio enthusiasts rather than appealing to a broader audience of listeners who simply love music and want to hear it reproduced with the highest fidelity. My goal for this book is to make high-performance audio easily understandable and accessible to anyone who enjoys music. I approached this task with some fundamental beliefs:
- Music is vitally important to the quality of our lives.
- An audio system is a vehicle for exploring the world of music.
- The better the quality of the reproduction, the deeper the listener's connection with the music.
- Anyone can appreciate the difference between mediocre and superb sound reproduction.
- A true high-end system can be assembled for not much more—and often less—than a mass-market system.
- High-end audio should be accessible to anyone who loves music, not just technophiles or the wealthy.
I'd hoped that my first book, The Complete Guide to High-End Audio, would help everyone who read it to better connect with music. But at 640 pages, and with a fair amount of technical depth, it didn't quite fulfill the mission of making high-end audio accessible to ordinary music lovers.
That's where Introductory Guide to High-Performance Audio Systems comes in. In it, I've reworked much of the basic material from The Complete Guide to High-End Audio into a simpler, easier-to-digest form. I've also included sections on multichannel audio for music and home theater on the assumption that many of you will use a multichannel audio system for stereo music, multichannel music, and home theater. This new book will, I hope, reach many more music lovers, pointing them in directions that allow them to enjoy their favorite music wonderfully reproduced night after night.
Back to the book overview